Tuesday, November 8, 2016

On Election Day

As I head out in an hour to work the polls for my town, I ready myself by focusing on the voting process. I reread instructions that I need as a precinct clerk to ensure that all anomalies are logged and every voter has their right to vote protected by me through our laws. I rest in order to prepare for a long night of processing all the paperwork after the polls close. I am expecting to be there as late as 11 due to write-ins and the pure volume of ballots.

When I get dressed, I dress in neutral colors so I don’t appear to be biased in any way. I wear comfortable shoes because I will be on my feet for at least 7 hours straight. I also dress my mind and attitude. This is a great country with a democratic process that works even though some folks would say otherwise. I love my country and I wish that all those who vote in my precinct today will see that all of the election officers are there for them and the process that keeps voting fair and legal. We may have strong feelings about certain candidates and issues but we check those at the door when we arrive to work. 

I place any qualms about safety and emotionally-charged voters in the hands of the police officers present and the universe. 

I’ll take a deep breath as I always do before entering the polling place and thank my lucky stars for being born in a country that allows people’s voices to be heard. 

And then I’ll get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment