Friday, September 2, 2011

If the label fits

I've always believed that before I give myself or anyone else a label, I had better know what I'm talking about. Not only do I not want to use a word incorrectly (there's a concept), I also don't want to offend.

Before I go off on my rant, let me say that I'm a good UU. I try really really hard not to use any sort of labels at all. Some, however, are inescapable. Like that fact that I call myself a UU. That is my religious affiliation and an appropriate label.

When people call me a liberal, I tend to bristle. I am liberal in some areas, but a moderate in others. For example, most liberals I know are opposed to the death penalty and have never voted for a Republican (gasp!).

So when someone uses a label inappropriately, I do correct them lest it lead to their using it incorrectly again, or cause them to form an opinion about me that is not true. This applies to strangers also since I am a communication Nazi.

Today in the supermarket - where, I've noticed, I tend to leave with some sort of rant every week - a woman called herself a vegetarian and then proceeded to tell me about the lobster rolls she loves and the chicken salad sandwich recipe her mother gave her.

I said, "Then you're not a vegetarian." To which she shockingly responded, "I am too. I don't eat red meat!" 

I told her that being a vegetarian (like me) means that you don't eat meat or fish. Which caused her to use yet another incorrect label - vegan. I had to then explain to her that I am not a vegan because I eat dairy and eggs where vegans do not. If you don't eat meat but do eat fish, you are a pescetarian.

I've stopped counting the number of times that I've had to make that distinction to people. Maybe more people are calling themselves vegetarians because it's the new in thing so I'm hearing it used incorrectly more often.

But whether the label is food-related (and, p.s. I'm not a vegetarian because I'm on a diet) or not, it would seem to me that before you give YOURSELF a label, you would look up the definition first.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,

    I came across your blog by accident when I was working on my school website. I was looking for the pancan ribbon to place on my site in honor of my father. He has been fighting pancreatic cancer for 3 years now. We have been very fortunate so far and are still hoping for a miracle. As I read your blog, I found so many similarities between us. I am a vegetarian and a huge animal lover as are you it seems. I just wanted you to know that your words traveled all the way down to Georgia and were very inspirational to me. I wish you and your family the best and I pray that one day a cure is found for this awful disease. I know your mother must have been very proud of you. I'm putting my website on here just so you know a little about me. Best wishes from Atlanta, Georgia!


    www.theresaabernathyworldhistory.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your very kind message. The stats for pancreatic cancer are mind-blowing. Last I read, it was the 4th deadliest cancer and gets only 2% of NIH funding for research. I will keep your dad and you in my thoughts. And I will check out your website. Best of luck with your school website and thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete