Thursday, August 9, 2012

After Brittany

Brit with one of her many "bunnies"
I believe in an after-life. There, I said it. It's not anything traditional like a heaven in the clouds. It's a feeling more than anything else.

Sitting on my couch today surfing the net, my nose woke up as I sensed a dog in the room. It was unmistakable - the familiar doggie smell of a wet mouth that just lapped up the water in the bowl; a whiff of dog fur that is due for a bath.

My dog Brittany has been gone for a year and a half now. She was the best dog on the planet. And I told her that every day. 

She was my constant companion, even in the shower. She didn't like closed doors between us so I would leave the bathroom door partly open so she could come in when she wanted to as I showered.

I'd be in the shower lost in my to-do list for the day and I'd hear the familiar slamming of the door against the bathroom wall. Within seconds, I would look to the end of the shower and see a brown and white nose poking itself around the shower curtain. That was it. Just a nose.

That nose would disappear in a matter of seconds and I would finish my shower. Brit never needed to see me to know I was there. She connected with me using all of her senses.

It's lonely all day in my house without my forever pal. Sometimes I miss her more than I do my own mother. We had a great run, me and Brit. But like all great things, it ended too soon.

People ask me when Ron and I will get another dog. I often say that I'm not ready. That it's too much money and work and, ultimately, sadness. My life is focused on caring for an elderly parent now and I'm sort of caretaker-ed out.

The truth though, buried deep beneath the credit card statement and protestations, is that the only dog I want is Brit. She's here still and this is her home. 

Like Brit, I don't need to see her to know she is here. And I'd rather live with her spirit, full and strong, than diminish it with another's scent.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy -- what a beautiful post! Brittany must have been a wonderful companion and great loss -- so sorry. We have something in common. I had and lost a Brittany dog too -- Lad. I wrote about him in my blog: http://frankwinters.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/winter-walk-no-dog/

    Its is a cruel trick of nature that dogs don't live longer. We live in a condo now -- can have a dog but I hesitate. Same reasons as yours including the care giver. We go to Brooklyn for a week each month to care for Aurora's parents. Would not be able to take a dog (we did take Lad when everyone was younger ears ago).

    Maybe later in life we'll redog our lives -- but right now -- no dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful post by you, Frank. You had a brittany but he looked quite a bit like our Brittany who was a springer spaniel. Those breeds are all about being with their people and following a scent, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Hi Kath, Very nice post about Brittany. I know how you feel. The new dog can never take the place of our old love but I think we always find a new place in our hearts for them too! I am hoping to reunite with them all when we cross "Rainbow Bridge". :0)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I know we will see our dogs again. And the bridge is closer to our reach than we can imagine. I always picture Brit just past the mist on a foggy day. So close yet so far.

      Delete
  3. great post..we really love our pet so when their time comes we need to accept it cause all creatures died..so better love your new pet and make him feel that he is also special

    shower

    ReplyDelete