Thursday, January 14, 2010

Look! Up in the sky!

Every night when I take the dogs out for their final potty run, I always make a point of looking up at the sky. Not just a quick look to see what the weather is like, but a real long look.

It seems that I spend most of my time with a vision range of about 10 feet. I work from home and my eyes are usually on the computer. When not there, I'm reading or quilting or cooking. No need to look more than 10 feet ahead there! When I drive, I obviously look further ahead and all around. Unless of course there's a Prince song blaring through the speakers, in which case, I'm looking around AND seat-dancing.

I like my nightly ritual. While the dogs are sniffing around, I'm gaping open-mouthed at the stars. I love the layers of nature at night. The snow on the ground with its little embedded paw prints is the first thing I see. The next layer is the silouettes of the tall white pines towering over my house. On a clear night like tonight, the midnight blue sky is beautiful all by itself. But wait, there's the Milky Way and all those bright galaxies and stars that I will someday learn!

The rhythmic on-off-on-off lights of a few small planes are what bring me back to earth and my visually impaired routine. Again, I turn my gaze to the 10 feet in front of me. The dogs are ready to return to their comfy sofa. And I've got muffins in the oven.

For those few minutes every night, I remind myself that my life is just one of many. There are eyes like mine who may never think to look up and out every night. But for those eyes that do, I'm smiling too.

No comments:

Post a Comment