Wednesday, January 6, 2010

So the saying goes

While trying to fall asleep last night, I got to thinking about some of my favorite sayings. Everyone has them. I've been either inventing them or co-opting them for 50 years. I'm not talking about offhanded comments or wiseass comebacks. I'm talking about sayings that help us sum up a situation or help us through a tough time. Sayings that we share with others to help them understand our position in concise terms.

I find sayings that people repeat often are an insight into their characters. Here are some of mine with sources if I can remember them. I'm not sure what they say about me, but then, I'll leave that up to you.

A little hard work never killed anyone. -- my dad
If money is your only problem, you have no problems. -- my mom
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. -- my brother
The hardest thing to do is always the right thing to do. -- my sister
No one ever learned anything by talking. -- not sure where I heard this originally.
You can't reason someone out of something they didn't reason themselves into. -- friend Jay
The only way out is through. -- friend Gretchen
Deeds are more important than creeds. -- R.W. Emerson
The only way to succeed greatly is to dare to fail miserably. -- Bobby Kennedy
I'd rather be respected than liked. -- me
Never confuse my job with my life. -- me
It's not the bad things that happen to you that count. It's how you deal with them that matters. -- an 80's sitcom
It's all marketing. -- my husband
Better never than late! -- an English professor
Do not communicate so that you can be understood. Communicate so that you cannot possibly be misunderstood. -- an old boss
Dying's just a part of living.  -- my grandfather
I'd rather be sexy than pretty. Sexy gets you more places. -- me (though it sounds like Mae West)

I'm sure there are more. I'll add them as I think of them. What are some of yours?

2 comments:

  1. Measure twice cut once - then measure again to be sure -- my brother added the extra measure.

    If you can read - you can cook (me :) )

    RTFM - anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love 'em! And I had forgotten the RTFM acronym. No technical writer should be without it!

    ReplyDelete