Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Food as legacy

One half of my kitchen area
I just spent the evening baking. One of my absolute favorite things to do. Tonight, in preparation for Thanksgiving, I baked my traditional apple muffins from a recipe I have in my 8th grade Home Ec class cookbook. That's where I learned to bake.

My mom is a good cook and my dad is a wiz at pie crusts, but I think I got my baking gene from my paternal grandmother. I've been told by quite a few people that I am the spittin' image of my Nana. A wonderful legacy that I tap into quite a bit. She had the same brown eyes, body shape, love for baking and quilting, and general wise-ass sense of humor that I seemed to have inherited.

My folks love(d) to entertain. I think I learned that from them. There's nothing more joyful to me than having a house full of people eating whatever I baked/cooked and drinking whatever is in the liquor cabinet. I love a party where I can hardly move in the kitchen.

I was reminded today that one of the big appeals I recognized when we bought this house was the huge kitchen. I have TONS of counter space. For someone who loves to "create" with food, I was instantly lured to the expansive counters and island. And the amazing cabinet space that could hold my beloved Kitchen Aid mixer, serving dishes, and china.

As I was starting my third "creation" for the night tonight, I thought about how happy I am that I have a niece due on my side of the family. There are wonderful Nolan recipes from my Nana that I fear would have ended with me. My sister has a son but boys tend not to carry on the traditions like girls do. I am so happy that I'll have a girl in the family to pass all the traditions down to.

So much of family history is entwined in the recipes we use. My Nana's turkey soup, stuffing, and pies. My mother's amazing pumpkin bread. My scones and squash souffle. This is how we honor our family tree and keep our treasured traditions alive.

I know that some day I will be gone but my recipes will live on. Maybe some day my niece will say, "And I got this recipe from my Aunt Kathy." In that one sentence I will come alive again and live through future generations.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. And I love your kitchen. Mine's a POS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margy, I'm sure it's not a POS. I have a very small dining area because the kitchen is so huge so most of what I do is buffet-style. Every house has its drawbacks.

    I hate that my light gray floor always looks shit brown in pictures. It must have to do with the recessed lighting overhead. Annoying.

    BTW, thank you for the invite to your party/discussion but I am not going to make it. I'm so booked between now and New Year's it ain't funny. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, you have a way of making everything sound so interesting! I feel like I am in your kitchen waiting for them to come out of the oven!
    : )
    Lana

    ReplyDelete