Sunday, October 25, 2009

Who's on your list?

A friend asked me if I could review a column he's submitting to a local newspaper. I did so with great enthusiasm and seriousness. I remember when I was trying to start as a columnist (unpaid, but whatever) and asked my trusted friend Jon to review what I wrote before I submitted it.

I've taken Jon's awesome advice and passed it along to my aspiring columnist friend.

That made me think of the web of which we are all a part. How many times have you taken the wisdom of a family member, friend, coworker, or mentor and passed it along to a peer or the next generation? I find myself doing that a lot as I get older. And that makes me realize just how much we are connected.

So many people are afraid that when they die, there will be nothing left of their being if they don't have kids. I say, that's short-sighted. I carry the lessons from my family members, ex-bosses, mentors, ministers, and friends with me all day long. And when needed, I impart the lessons-learned to others.

I have my own opinion of the afterlife which I won't bore you with here, but there are other ways for us to make our lives meaningful before and after we die. It means we have to be aware of the wisdom all around us and be willing to pass it on.

How much have you been paying attention and who's on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment