Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The wind in the willows

With all the turmoil over whether or not to use windmills for an alternative energy source, I was struck today at how quixotic it all is. I mean, literally.

I wonder if we are becoming too much like Don Quixote in our escape from the practical. I'm all about pursuing lofty ideals and fighting for them. But if we refuse to add reality to our actions, that can be dangerous.

And I'm not talking about foresaking lofty ideals for the reality of a tough fight. When it comes to human rights, animal rights, and taking care of our planet, we should never let the fact that injustices exist be a reason to quit.

What I'm talking about it is giving up our romantic and sentimental attachments to the way things were. No one wants to see major hardware come between them and their view of the mountains or seacoast. I certainly don't. However, the alternative to alternative energy sources is the loss of natural resources, the ozone, and independence from foreign (oftentimes corrupt) regimes.

I'm willing to remember how things used to be in order to be around to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment