Thursday, March 25, 2010

Tower of Power

Ron and I went to see the ultimate funk and soul band last night - Tower of Power. It was only our second time seeing them (beside the one time I saw them at my college Spring Festival in the late '70s). If you want some energy, you gotta go see ToP. After 40+ years together, they still can't be topped (no pun intended).

We sat in the mezzanine of the Wilbur Theatre in Boston last night and ended up having really great seats. It's a small enough venue that you're never too far from the stage. The first thing I do when I go to any concert is assess the crowd. I'm a people-watcher from way back and can never resist the tempation at concerts.

The seats around us were filled with all types. In front of us sat a couple who never clapped or moved - actions I thought impossible at a ToP show. Next to them was a man that alternated between making bar runs and staring into his Blackberry. Next to me (we had end seats, thankfully) was what appeared to be a sugar daddy and his "date". It was hard not to be distracted by them and I kept wishing they'd just leave and get a room. Halfway through the show they disappeared and I hoped they did just that. Behind us were crazy people (just the way I like 'em) who danced and hooted and yelled out song titles.

I don't want to do a full review of the show so much as point out my impressions and some highlights for me.
  • ToP needs to be in a venue at least that size to have the desired effect on the crowd. We saw them at Sculler's last year and the room was just too small for them. There was no way for them or us to move. The best way to enjoy their music is to get up and dance.
  • The set list was as good as I've seen from a band. They played most of their big hits and fan favorites but still added some new stuff from their latest cover album. Although it's a decent album, I'd rather listen to their own compositions than their interpretation of others songs. There was too much of that going on at the Sculler's gig last year.
  • David Garibaldi is one of the greatest drummers of all time. Yet he's so understated. I was glad to be sitting on his side of the stage so I could watch him more closely. I met him the last time I saw ToP and shook his hand. He has the hand of a drummer - calloused and strong.
  • When my ToP favorite "You've Got To Funkafize" started, I screamed "Oh My God!" so loud I fear I drowned out the singer. That song has several rhythms going on at the same time that all come together in one amazing funkfest.
  • I was thrilled that they played one of my all-time favorite ballads "So Very Hard To Go". It's a song about a love triangle. The balladeer struggles with doing the right thing by leaving - an unselfish, heartbreaking gift to the woman he loves. Definitely their best slow song - beating out "You're Still a Young Man" in my eyes.
  • The horn section and lead singer took a break midway through to allow for a great instrumental moment on drums, bass, guitar, and the B3. I loved how this allowed the part of the band that is often overshadowed by the strong horn section and singer to really shine.
  • Speaking of their singer, how Larry Briggs can still speak after belting out those tunes the way he does, is beyond me. His vocal range is phenomenal.
  • I think the best part of their set list was a James Brown tribute that started with their song "Still Diggin' on James Brown". This morphed into some great Brown covers including the gem "Mother Popcorn" which I don't hear much in Brown tributes. It includes some lines that Prince quoted in his song "Gett Off": I like 'em fat/I like 'em proud/You've got to have a mother for me. Another great funk song.
I hope that when Tower of Power comes back to Boston, they play the Wilbur again. It was a spectacular night and they played a longer set than usual (about 1 hr, 45 mins).
I made the mistake of wearing a sweater to the gig. I danced so much at the end I left sweating. The cool night air felt great as we hiked to a nearby bar. I don't remember the name but it had shamrocks in the sign so we figured they'd have Jamesons. Other folks stopped in after the show and we compared notes. Everyone agreed it was one of ToP's best outings. Can't wait to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment