Thursday, November 5, 2009

An old-timer's holiday

I really miss Thanksgiving. Not the Thanksgiving we have now which is really just an excuse to have a day-after sale for Christmas. But the old Thanksgiving. Y'know, the one where you looked forward to the greatest meal of the year. And being with your family. And going to the high school football game. I don't see that type of holiday anymore.

My family does a great job keeping it as traditional as possible. Those of us who aren't home tending the bird, are off freezing at a local football field. We recently got the next generation into that tradition and I love to see that continue.

There's nothin' like coming home from a 40-degree, windy, rainy game and stepping into a home filled with wonderful smells. Do you know that there was a study done once and that of all your senses, the sense of smell has the longest memory? I wasn't surprised to read that. All I have to do is start the Thanksgiving prep the night before to feel like my entire family tree is standing with me while I cook and bake.

I started a Thanksgiving tradition when my nephew was born. The next generation of Nolans. Instead of the traditional toast, we go around the table and each person says one thing they are thankful for. It could be as simple as the shoes on their feet. But we take that time.

It makes me wonder if the reason that Thanksgiving is now glossed over, is because we aren't as thankful anymore. I mean, thankful for the simple and important things like family, friends, good health, and food on the table. We rush through what is to me the greatest holiday of the year so that we can get lost in materialism.

No comments:

Post a Comment