Monday, November 23, 2009

Rediscovering old loves

I'm guessing that when you read this title it made you think that I'd be blogging about bumping into an old flame. Well, no. But then again, yes. Music has always been huge in my life. Maybe it's the poet in me that hears lyrics that speak to me and never forgets them once they become lodged in my heart and brain.

I often remember a song because it was something I needed to hear at that time of my life. Sometimes I simply liked the musical hook and wasn't as interested in the lyrics. But, for whatever the reason, the song stuck with me.

Last week I heard "The Heart of the Matter" on the radio. It's from Don Henley's last solo album he recorded 20 years ago. I always loved the line "I think it's about forgiveness" since it was so simple and profound. At the time the record was released, that line applied to someone in my life who I needed to interact with and was looking for a way to do so without pain. And it helped me then.

Now that our relationship is a healthy one, I've been recently struggling with another. A long-time friend who, for reasons of his own, has decided to disappear. So when I heard that song last week, it reminded me of how that song healed me then and might now.

I've been listening to the entire CD thanks to a good friend who loaned it to me after hearing my love for the song on Facebook.

It's amazing to me that one song can change your head and your heart. I wonder if the song's writer can even understand the power they have to help heal.


That song and others are like old loves to me. And I hope that others who struggle can find healing in music as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GBEObOqCU

No comments:

Post a Comment