Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What's your one?

I started a tradition in our family 6 years ago when the next Nolan generation came along. Instead of a toast, we each take a turn saying, in one sentence or phrase, what we are thankful for. It's usually simple things like "I'm thankful I am able to help others." Or, "I'm thankful for my family." But, boy does it resonate with us. Everyone thinks about what they want to say in that one sentence weeks ahead of time -- so the process of going through a LIST of positive things is uplifting. I always get a tear in my eye as we go around the table and hear the sentimental, sweet comments. It's a moment I would never trade for all the money in the world.
 I'm hoping that my little nephew will take not just his great-great grandmother's stuffing recipe to his adult Thanskgiving celebrations, but also this "one thankful thing" tradition as well.

This year is no different for me. I start with the little things that I'm thankful for and then work up to the big. I told my wise friend Ann about this tradition and she said "I'm thankful for Thanksgiving." As always, her words struck a cord with me. If it weren't for Thanksgiving, we may never take the time to make our lists of thanks.

So, before we all rush wallet-first into the insanity that has become Christmas, what's the one thing you're thankful for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment