Thursday, February 25, 2010

Full of grace

I just finished reading the book "Golfing with God". A friend let me borrow it and, although I wasn't all that impressed with the book, it did get me thinking. For the longest time now, I've wondered what it is that I should be. I'm not talking career or hair color. I'm talking about true "being".

A friend of mine passed away two years ago in his 40s. It was so sad to feel so helpless as I visited and held his hand as the cancer took over his body and mind. But there was one thing I learned from that. Grace.

Mark was so graceful - not the type of graceful when we describe dancers. But graceful - full of grace.

That's what I aspire to be - graceful. To accept that some things are out of my hands, and to strive with all my heart to effect things that are not. I'm not sure how exactly to get there but I think it comes with age and the wisdom gained from watching others as they deal with difficulty.

I have a few graceful people in my life, and I notice that they are very calm and calming. These are the people I go to when I need inspiration or a sane voice. I want to be the type of person that others come to when they need the same thing.

If there's a meaning to life, I believe it is to be there for each other. Doing that without ego or negativity is the beginning of grace. I'm sure I can at least start there.

No comments:

Post a Comment