Monday, April 19, 2010

Checks and balances

As I walked into the local supermarket today, I was approached by a man with a clipboard. "Are you a registered MA voter?" I said I was. "Then could you sign nomination paperwork so a candidate can get on the ballot in November?"

I always sign. Unless it's Lyndon LaRouche. This time, the candidate is an Independent. I am listed as Unenrolled but sign regardless of the candidate's party. Though, truthfully, I lean toward the Democrats 90% of the time.

Last week, I was at lunch with some rather liberal fellow UUs. More liberal than me, at least. The topic of signing papers for a Republican candidate came up. Several of my friends were quite passionate about how they would never sign nomination papers for any Republican, and they even get into arguments with the signature seekers.

They were surprised when I disagreed with them. My philosophy is that what makes this country great is that any citizen can run for elected office. If I don't agree with you, I won't vote for you. But you should always have the right and opportunity to present your thoughts. I wouldn't want to live in a country where only one side of the story is heard all the time.

We have that in the MA State House right now. It's a one-party controlled state. And how's that working out for everyone? Right. Thought so.

Every government, like every person, needs to have an opposing opinion if only to make them think objectively. I love to play devil's advocate which drives a lot of my friends insane. Personally, I am not offended when someone does that to, or rather, for me. I'd rather be forced into thinking logically and checking in with my heart than make a move toward something that is not true to who I am.

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand where you're coming from. Balance in everything is always good.

    But I live in Wisconsin. And in Wisconsin, we have Senator Russ Feingold. And once upon a time Russ Feingold felt the way you do. So he wouldn't vote no. As a result, we ALL had to live under years of the tyranny of John Ashcroft.

    So to me, I've found that sometimes checks and balances means having the ability to use your good sense before it gets too far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Kathy. I always sign for people to run. It's their right, and it might make the election more interesting. Massachusetts could use some more interesting elections. I too am tired of only having Democrats to choose from. They campaign (if they bother to at all) as if the results are pre-determined. I mostly lean Democratic too, but sometimes we need a devil's advocate. As long as he's a socially liberal one. I miss Bill Weld. At least he was fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked Bill Weld. A fiscal conservative and a social liberal. The perfect combination for me!

    ReplyDelete