Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thoreau, I am not

I took a short walk this morning. It started out as an exercise kind of walk. Trying to lose the remaining 19 pounds to reach my Weight Watcher goal (and fit into an old dress that I loved and would like to wear to a wedding in June).

It's a perfect Spring day in Westford. Barely a cloud in the sky, 60s temps, and a gentle breeze. The walk I chose was one I've done in the past. It's probably my favorite walk in my area.

There's a 4-H fairground near my house and it sits on Heart Pond that straddles Westford and Chelmsford. It's not a very big pond but how big does a pond have to be to be appreciated?


I walked briskly for 15 minutes until I reached the pond, then took a little break by the water to listen and watch. There was a swan near the shore. I didn't know what it was at first because all I saw was this lump of white on the water. Moments later, the swan came up for air and there was that lovely long neck.

Watching the sun, so welcome after a long winter, play off the ever so slight ripples in the water was a jewel to behold. Red winged blackbirds called out to each other, no doubt reporting the progress on their nest-building.

Behind me, I heard the sound of a hammer. There were a few 4-H members there getting the site ready for the season. I don't know about other New Englanders, but I love living in a place where there are four distinct seasons. Sure we all complain about the dog days of August and the hold-your-breath sort of cold we get in January. But boy, do Spring and Autumn make up for those moments of extremes.

I thought as I walked back to the house that I am no Thoreau. After having spent a short time communing with nature, I understand the appeal of sitting alone with your thoughts and taking in the beauty of the natural world. Thoreau, however, seemed to miss the lesson that alone in nature is not where we are meant to be all the time.

Our community is our neighbors. And I don't define neighbor as someone who lives near me. Our neighbors are the whole world. How can we understand ourselves if we never interact with others? I don't think I would be as empathetic as I am if I spent all of my time communing with nature (and living in my own head).

That's why I'm one of the few nature lovers and English majors I know who really doesn't have any use for Thoreau. I lump him in the same category as Salinger. Reclusive and out of touch.

As beautiful and pure as nature is, it is not a substitute for human interaction. If you're a human, that's where you need to focus. It's wonderful to get away from the world for a while and reflect, but let's not forget who our neighbors are.

2 comments:

  1. All I could think of when I read this was Scott! :-) He would gladly head into the woods and only come out for a cold beer at the local bar and some supplies. I agree that living mostly alone is not living fully in the world. 20 years ago, I was not a Thoreau fan, either. As time goes on, though...well, as I just said to Scott the other night...I just wish we were back in that one room cabin in Carthage with nothing on the agenda but a canoe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always said that without Emerson, there would be no Thoreau. Emerson is the man!

    ReplyDelete