Saturday, April 24, 2010

Synchronicity

One of my pet peeves is the misuse of the word "synchronicity". Sting got it right. Others use it as a substitute for the word "synchronous". Since I'm a Carl Jung fan, the misuse makes me even crazier.

To quote Wikipedia: Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner. To count as synchronicity, the events should be unlikely to occur together by chance.

The concept of synchronicity popped into my head this afternoon as I sat on my deck. It is a gorgeous spring day and I dug out my lawn chair for the sole purpose of sitting in the sun and watching the birds at the feeder.

Ron joined me with the newspaper in hand. I was content to just listen and watch nature. I heard a russling in the woods next to my house. It was my reclusive, elderly neighbor. He spends a lot of time picking through and pruning the woods behind his house. Both of our homes abut conservation land and we seem to appreciate the serenity of it.

I thought about what a lonely life he has. Cloistered in his house. Hardly ever mingling with any of the neighbors. His house is surrounded by trees and shrubs to the point of being engulfed by them. I'm told that he never married and I've never seen any visitors at his house.

As I contemplated my neighbor's solitude, Ron leaned over and said "Pssst". I looked his way as he pointed to a wild turkey that has been hanging out in our yard on occasion. There it was, poking its way through our yard, headed to the bird feeder.

I watched it for a long time. It slowly made its way back into the woods behind our house where it sat and groomed itself. I was drawn to watching my neighbor at the same time. Both of these creatures at home alone in nature. How similar are their lives, I wondered.

I've never seen this turkey with any other turkeys. Not even little baby turkeys. My neighbor and the turkey didn't appear to know the other was there. But maybe they did and are used to each other by now. Pecking their way through the natural world, content to be alone together.

No comments:

Post a Comment